This is Bernini’s portrait of his old flame Constanza Bonarelli. She was the wife of one of his assistants and she became Bernini’s mistress after posing as his model. The bust could almost be by Houdon or one of the portrait sculptors of 100 years later—so naturalistic is it. Someone called it a “false dawn of naturalism”. Constanza looks pretty scrumptious with her lips parted and her chemise so loosely open.
Bernini kept the bust around for a few years but then had to quickly get it out of the house when he finally married and brought his new wife, Caterina Tezio, home. He gave it to a friend.
- Why Michelangelo Disliked Leonardo da Vinci
- Michelangelo vs. Bernini
- Michelangelo Timeline
- Michelangelo Smashed His Pietà to Pieces
- Who's Who in the Last Judgment?
- How to Carve a Figure in Marble
- Michelangelo's Portrait of a Devil
- Michelangelo's Mysterious Carving Method
- Michelangelo Meets Titian
- Michelangelo Fell off the Scaffolding in the Sistine
How I learned to carve marble statues
- 2,812,517 hits